Advaita assumes a four-armed figure.



Advaita assumes a four-armed figure.
Rāghava Paṇḍita continued,
“A wise person once told me that Advaita Gosvāmī stayed in Mathurā during His pilgrimage because of the beauty here. At that time there was a worthless brāhmaṇa in Mathurā who invariably spoke ill of the Vaiṣṇavas. That was his worst habit. He was a proud scholar and a wicked man, so the inhabitants of Mathurā feared him.
Once he spoke harshly about the Vaiṣṇavas in front of Śrī Advaita Prabhu.
Advaita became so furious that His lips began to tremble and His eyes grew red. He shouted at the brāhmaṇa,
‘O wicked man, today you will not escape from Me. I shall sever your head from your body with this cakra.’
Advaita assumed a four-armed figure, and the brāhmaṇa began to tremble in fear. He folded his hands and tried to pacify Advaita by saying,
‘O Lord, punish me as You like. Unfortunately, I have lost my good intelligence, and not understanding vaiṣṇava-tattva, I have committed unlimited sins. Please be kind to me and save me from these sins.’
The brāhmaṇa began to cry helplessly, and Advaita concealed his four-armed form. Seeing the wretched condition of the brāhmaṇa, Advaita felt pity for him and decided to bless him. Advaita spoke in sweet words,
‘The sins which you have committed will send you to hell,
but I will tell you what you must do now. Admit your guilty mentality, give up all pleasures, and engage yourself in nāma-sañkīrtana. Serve the Vaiṣṇavas with your heart and soul and be very cautious in your dealings with them. Engage yourself in worship according to the standards of pure devotion and do not tell anyone what you have seen today.‘

Archive

Show more