A humble proposal

By Jaya Kesava das

When I joined the Hare Krsna movement was when I began to understand how cleanliness is not just next to, but is Godliness. First week in the asram we learned that two important things that maintained a brahmanical lifestyle are cleanliness and punctuality. And Srila Prabhupada wanted that for all his followers. So my first thoughts were that (a). these people have standards, and (b) my mom won't mind me living with them when she sees how clean and timely they are. We're advised to clean the heart so that Krsna can come and live in there. In fact Lord Caitanya's advertises the Hare Krsna mantra as ceto darpana marjanam- the best way to clean the heart. Srila Prabhupada even tells us in letter that Krsna will not like an offering if its from a not clean kitchen. When a place is clean, the mind somewhat lets you off the hook and doesn't give much trouble.

Archive

Show more