Stories from the Road. Mfundo Nkosi: My first experience in…



Stories from the Road.
Mfundo Nkosi: My first experience in book distribution left an indelible mark on my consciousness. I was afraid to approach anyone and couldn’t even summon the courage to speak, muted as though gagged by fear. I then noticed a lady sweeping the sidewalk nearby. Her broom dragged across the dirt with great effort. It looked like she was writing a sad poem in the dust with the broom as her pen and her tears provided the ink. Drawn by her silent anguish I approached her and asked, “Are you okay?” She looked up and stared at me with eyes glistening from the tears she failed to hold back. I stood there stunned, thinking what an awkward situation I had plunged myself into and my heart sank at her falling tears. The lady then spoke in a somber voice, “Does God exist?” After a moment I said, “I have this book [Chant and Be Happy]. It speaks about establishing a relationship with God by calling His names.” “I don’t have any money”, she responded digging into her pockets to show only a single Rand. Knowing one Rand may not be enough she ran to one of her colleagues and stopped a few people in the street imploring them to spare a little change so she could purchase the book. I couldn’t move, startled by this lady’s desperation. She hurried back to me and said, “This is all I can get,” stretching out her arms to me as she cupped the coins in her hands. She amassed all of five rands. I took the donation but what really purchased the book was her desperation to find God. That was the only book I distributed that day. I know not what became of that lady; however, she made a deep impression in my heart that I hope to carry with me always.

Archive

Show more