Love is Greater than God!. “I’m the God of love, I only want my devotees to love me. I don’t want service that is not offered out of love.” HH Sacinandana Swami: Have you ever thought about the significance of the Damodara-lila? It’s the only lila or pastime of Krishna, which is celebrated every single day for a whole month. All other lilas are celebrated for just the one day on which they take place. This pastime begins with Krishna stealing butter, but it ends with Krishna stealing our heart. When we celebrate the Lord by offering Him a candle every day, the Lord steals our heart because He subjugates Himself to the love of His devotees. One of Krishna’s many names is Bhayapaha, one who destroys all fears. Thus, since time immemorial devotees and people pray to God to free them from danger, surgery, tax problems, health issues, relationship difficulties. They pray to Him, “Please, free me from this difficulty.” But the Lord who destroys all fears became very scared Himself when His loving mother lifted a stick, in order to teach Him that He should not steal butter. He became so fearful that He started to run and run and run and run. And finally when mother Yashoda had caught Him because He allowed Himself to be caught, He was shaking with fear. His little chest was heaving, He breathed heavily and said, “Mother, throw away that stick, please.” Mother Yashoda saw Krishna was panicking and she thought of another way to teach Him that He shouldn’t steal. So she bound Him. It was a long, long effort, but finally she was successful. Now, Krishna is Mukunda, He who gives liberation to others, but although He can give liberation to all those who worship Him, He could not escape the bondage of mother Yashoda. He can untie everyone from the ropes of karma, but He could not free Himself from the ropes of love. He would not do it. In this month of Damodara, Krishna shows to the whole world: “I’m the God of love, I only want my devotees’ love. I don’t want money, I don’t want the praise of the Vedic hymns, I only want that they love Me.” He even will say: “I don’t want service, if it is not offered out of love.” Love can take many many forms. In the case of mother Yashoda, out of love she thought, ‘I need to teach my child otherwise He will become spoiled.’ Love conquers. Love subjugates. Love is higher even than the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Bhakti or devotional love brings Him under the control of His devotees.


Archive

Show more