‘The music of yoga’: Agnostics, Christians find…



‘The music of yoga’: Agnostics, Christians find spiritual benefits in kirtan’s Hindu chants.
Online editor April Smallwood says the religious nature of kirtan was neither a drawcard nor a deterrent when she first attended.
“I became addicted because of that first experience,” she recalls of her visit to Sydney’s Hare Krishna organization Govinda’s.
“I didn’t really know what the chants meant, or what I was saying, essentially, but that helped me become more present because I was just focussing on pronouncing the words correctly.
"I noticed after that session, even four days afterward, I was on a continued high.”
Ms. Smallwood says the musicality of kirtan helped her achieve a state of mindfulness that was far harder to obtain through traditional meditation.
To read the entire article click here: https://goo.gl/9JEDje

Archive

Show more