“Harry Krishna” and the village policemen Harry...



“Harry Krishna” and the village policemen Harry Edwards.
Ranchor: The village policeman came to meet Prabhupada. As part of his job he took it upon himself to act as a liaison between the devotees and the village.
There had been complaints about noise during their festival, and also about a devotee who had been chanting loudly in the doctors waiting room.
He wanted to assure the devotees that they had done no wrong.
Prabhupada said devotees should be considerate.
‘We may take pleasure in chanting Hare Krishna loudly, but others may not. When you go to others’ places, simply chant in such a way that only you can hear. Not that you have to advertise yourself.’
He demonstrated chanting the maha-mantra softly, almost under his breath.
‘You know what they call me?’ the policeman said. ‘They say I’m Harry Krishna on this side, and Harry Edwards on the other side. I live just across the road,’ he explained.
‘So they joke that on one side my name is Harry Edwards, and on the other side my name is Harry Krishna. My name is Harry Edwards, you see.’
‘A good name,’ laughed Prabhupada. ‘When somebody is disturbed he can say, “I am calling Mr Harry.” ’
Everyone laughed as Harry elaborated further.
‘In the morning when I ring up the station they say, “Ah, Harry Krishna,” and I say, “Hare Krishna to you.” So really, you’ve achieved your object without them knowing it.’
‘Yes, yes.’ Prabhupada laughed. ‘All over the world, when people see us, they chant Hare Krishna.’
Harry ended by giving Prabhupada his assurance that he was always ready to be of assistance.
‘If there’s anything you need to ask me …’
‘You are always welcome,’ said Prabhupada. ‘When we are in difficulty, we must take shelter of you.’

Archive

Show more