Aloha! Dear community members just to let u know that we…



Aloha! Dear community members just to let u know that we recently received the award from the HONOLULU MAGAZINE for GOVINDA’S VEGETARIAN BUFFET located at 51-Coelho way.
Thank you all for your support and coo-operation.
A review: Govinda’s is such an exotic, out-of-the-ordinary experience for me living in Hawaii. Located in an old Nu'uanu mansion is a Hare Krishna temple serving the most delicious and spiritually refreshing food on the island. You can tell just by stepping in the door that this will not be your average dining experience, because not only are shoes not required, you are expected to leave them at the door (like any local household- but not restaurant!). Entering the house you are greeted by Hindu art and the sounds of Indian music coming from the gift shop where you pay ($10 for all you can eat). I came at about 1pm on a Wednesday and the buffet had 8 choices of hot items and a salad station. Some of the food (fried cauliflower and lasagna) was running low but it was quickly replaced. I loaded my plate with salad, saffron rice, dal (lentil soup), mild veggie curry, fried cauliflower, steamed veggies, and of course the lasagna. Poured myself a cup of the fresh ginger lemonade and my mother and I went outside to sit beneath the massive banyan tree.
The surreal experience continued as we ate, as each bite brought exotic spices, flavors and delicious new tastes into my mouth. There was no dish I did not love (my mom thought the lasagna was a little spicy). The garden/yard area was so serene and soothing and feeling the grass between my toes as I ate was great. We even had a little friend (black and white cat) visit us and share some love. After I finished my plate I went back for the dessert of halva. I had never had it before and it was like a sweet polenta textured pudding flavored with cinnamon and cardamom with raisins and coconut. It was so delicious! I ate my fill but did not feel overly stuffed, just satisfied, and my mother and I walked through the gift shop looking at jewelry and skirts and sari type clothing.
I had such a great time here I felt so removed from the hustle and bustle of Honolulu and got a great dose of culture and spirituality I was not familiar with. It almost felt like I was experiencing part of an ashram type lifestyle, the gardens would be perfect for meditation and quiet reading. I picked up a Krishna brochure on my way out to try and learn more about this interesting culture, so different from my own religious beliefs, and as a bald Krishna devotee sitting on the stairs said goodbye to us, I knew it wouldn’t be long before I would be back to satiate the urges of my wanderlust disease.
Read more reviews here: https://goo.gl/a0oINa

Archive

Show more