Advertiser Distributor Becomes Book Distributor, or...



Advertiser Distributor Becomes Book Distributor, or tried…
Auckland, New Zealand

I met 44 year old Hemi, a warm and friendly maori (native) gentleman who is working distributing advertising leaflets to the public. He immediately recognised Srila Prabhupada’s books. He already has the Gita and others but has not yet read them. He gave a donation and took 2 small books. He is working the same side of the street as me; he’s been doing so from 9 until 4:30 every day for over two weeks to promote the School Uniform Shop he is working for.

A while later I meet him again. “What is a monk?” he inquires. I said, “We discuss scripture, do service, study and celibacy.” Hemi used to attend the Mormon Church and told me of his being put on probation for not sticking to the “rules” eventually leading to him being asked not to come back. We talked about dealing with sin. I referenced some verses on lust from Bhagavad-Gita focusing on 2.59, and explain the practicality of Bhakti yoga.

Later he beckons me over; he’s been meditating on what we discussed earlier. He had attended many churches throughout the years and was unimpressed by the knowledge they had to offer. He was spiritually tired but is now eager to read his copy of the Gita.

We again went on sankirtan. During one exchange I see Hemi waiting across from me. I chastise him jokingly for being in “my” zone and ask if he’d like to do my job. He takes it seriously and agrees. We get a mixture of books from my box and I inform him of the ‘printing’ price. Then I tell him to chant this certain mantra in between meeting people and he repeats the holy name line by line.

For half an hour he tries giving passersby the books instead of the advertising material. I watch his exchanges; he looks funny in his uniform (which advertises a shop that sells uniforms) but he is confident.

After 30 minutes I approach him. He chants Hare Krishna with a smile on his face. He remembers the whole mantra after having heard it only once. It was difficult for him and no books went out, but he was ecstatic nonetheless. Because of his lack of knowledge of what the books were about, he wasn’t sure how to present them. He vowed to read his Gita before coming to Krishnafest at The Loft (our urban yoga lounge) this Sunday. I got his number and later sent him a text message, thanking him for his help. I also wrote: “I hope u gt som nice realisation from the books.” He replied,

“I feel like a new lease of life has presented itself to me, a direction of certainty and opportunity, keep in touch.”

Srila Prabhupada, his books, and his book distribution Ki! Jai!

Your Servant,

Jayadeva Kavi dasa

Archive

Show more